The Grownup by Gillian Flynn Review

Credit: Goodreads.com
Gillian Flynn is one of my favorite authors, so I was quite excited when I heard she was publishing a short story this month. I pre-ordered it on Amazon straight away, and although it's no novel with only 62 pages, Flynn still captivates and thrills with every word.

The Grownup follows an unnamed female protagonist who has lived less than a perfect life. Like all of Flynn's protagonists, this woman is unusual and has a very distinct personality.

Unlike the protagonists in some of her other novels, this woman did not annoy me or cause me to not care what happens to her. She is compelling and unique, and Flynn makes you really want to know her story.

I don't want to give you too much of a summary because it's quite short and I think going into it blind is the best way to read it. I will say, however, that it is a thrilling and paranoia-inducing tale that has a hint of a ghost story thrown into it. If you would like a better summary though, here is a link to the GoodReads page.

Was this my favorite work ever written by Flynn? No.

The story does boast an intriguing beginning and an addicting middle to the point that I would not allow myself to sleep until I knew the ending. However, the ending wasn't quite what I wanted it to be.

Flynn's works usually end in an "OH MY GOD WHAT?!" This was more like a "Wait, what? Ugh." It just didn't live up to the hype the rest of the story was promoting.

This was no Dark Places or Sharp Objects but I liked it better than Gone Girl. So yes, it is definitely worth the hour of time and $6 you'll spend on it.

I just can't wait for another full-length novel from this master of thrilling paranoia.


Goodreads Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Publish Date: November 3, 2015
Finished: November 3, 2015

Comments

Popular Posts